CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Seattle

When I was growing up we would periodically visit my dad's brother who lived north of Seattle. I think the last time we went as a family my baby brother was in diapers (he is now serving a mission in Veracruz, Mexico), but I think those vacations are what started my love of Seattle.

So when we got the opportunity to go to the BYU vs Washington State football game with the Cougar Club we jumped at the chance. The Cougar Club took care of all of the reservations and chartered us a flight out the Provo Airport (which was one of the best parts of the whole trip).

On Thursday we got into the Seattle around noon and had the afternoon and evening to explore the city. We toured the Underground and had dinner at Elliots right on the waterfront. The clam chowder and chocolate souffle were to die for.

On Friday we went Pike Market, the space needle, and I went Antique shopping while Scott took a nap. That afternoon, the Cougar Club had arranged for a BBQ before we headed to the Mariners-Yankees baseball game. Some highlights of the day...

The skyline from 520' a top the space needle. It was an amazing view. Last time I was at the space needle it was so cloudy, you couldn't even see the skyline, but we had great weather without a drop of rain. If you look really close in the background you can even see Mt. Rainer sticking out of the clouds.

We got to meet a special guest at the BBQ.
At the space needle. Notice the blue sky!

Pikes Place Market. There were the most beautiful flowers I have seen here for only $15 for a bunch. I could live in Seattle for just the flowers.

At the Mariners game. We had nose bleed seats above 1st base, but we had a great view of the space needle and the city skyline. In general I am not a baseball fan, but this was so fun. The pitcher for the Mariners, Brandon Marrow, was pitching for his first time in the majors. He pitched a no hitter until the 8th inning and we had a great time cheering him on.


Scott catching with the Mariners.

On Saturday morning we had breakfast with Ty Deitmer, Coach David Rose (basketball coach for BYU), and the rest of our traveling companions. A ferry then took us across Union Lake to the football game at the University of Washington. On the way, I saw the house where Tom Hanks lived in Sleepless in Seattle. The stadium sits right on the harbor and all of these Huskies fans were tailgating in their boats. We hopped off the boat and walked right up to the stadium-that is the way to arrive to a football game. You can see the harbor in the picture below. About 5,000 BYU fans joined us to cheer on a last second win by the Cougs.


I think our family has a new fall tradition.

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

Wasn't that an exciting finish to the game? My friends got the game on tv so I got to see it- lucky me. It was a lot of fun! It sounds and looks like you had so much fun- I'm glad you finally got to visit Seattle.

pitterbecky said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Sounds like a fun club to be a part of. You guys are always on the go,go,go.

crystal said...

SO fun!! Thanks for passing along the baseball gloves. The kiddos have had so much fun playing with them!

Liz, in New York said...

What a great trip! I'm so happy you had a such a wonderful time! We love Seattle!