CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Settling In...


So much for doing a post everyday in February... since we got home last Wednesday I have been terrible about getting posts up. Olivia and I have been trying to get into a routine, but are struggling on the sleeping/eating at night thing. Some nights she sleeps 4-5 hours at a time other nights it is only 2 hours before she wants to eat. I would like to get her on a more consistent schedule... any ideas?
My Mom came down on Sunday afternoon and will go home tomorrow. It has been really fun to have her here and also very helpful. I am finding that it takes me a lot longer to get anything done and she has been a huge help in taking care of Livy so that I can get my laundry caught up, my dishes done, and get a shower in. Plus Livy adores her... she just sits and listen to Grandma talk to her. Mom says she is a very content baby.

She changes a little bit everyday. Her little new born clothes are starting to fit better,she is very alert, still hates baths and having her diaper changed, and loves to snuggle with her daddy. I love this girl!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

oh goodness...those first few months (at least for me) were simply letting her do her thing. Have you read Babywise?? I totally, TOTALLY recommend this! I loved it. Very much about scheduling - when to expect it, etc.

She is a cutie! I'm so happy for you guys.

Eileen said...

The best advice my mom gave me, is when a baby cries, don't let them cry. Feed Them, Change Them, Hold Them. You will find that a baby that learns their needs are going to be taken care of is a happy baby. Sounds like you are doing a great job. As to the sleeping at night, when Lizzy was on a growth spurt she would wake almost every hour. I would think yeah! She is sleeping 4 hours! Then, boom, a night she was up every hour. It will pass, its just a newborn thing. Hold her often while she is cuddly, all too soon they want to squirm out of your lap and run around.

Tigerlily said...

Amy thanks again for the fun night out. We enjoyed it. Livy is a doll! I just loved holding her before I had to rush off. She is beautiful and darling and everything you say she is and more. You are such a good mom as we always knew you would be. We love you and things will get better each and everyday. Enjoy the challenges and the sweet times that are being a mother to a darling baby girl.

pitterbecky said...

Although she looks darling in pink, it is fun to see her in differently colored clothes. We can hardly wait for you guys to come and visit. Sophie talks about it constantly. I was telling Mom the other day that Sophie still wakes up alot at night, so not really any advice from me. I'm a softy when I hear a baby (or my almost 3 year old) crying. It is definitely more challenging to get things done with a little one, so sometimes you just have to let somethings slide around the house a little longer than normal.

Laurel said...

Something our pediatrician told us before we even left the hospital was this--don't let newborns sleep for longer than two hours at a time during the day. We did that with Lincoln and he had good sleeping habits right off the bat. Sleeping through the night WAY sooner than I thought he would. By breaking up their deep sleep cycles during the day, it makes them need to get all that deep sleep at night--when mama needs it too!

We didn't read babywise, but used some of the overall concepts that other people told us about. (The eat, play, sleep concept) That seemed to work well too. I know reading as a new mom is hard, you'd rather be sleeping. However, I hear great things about babywise.

Liz, in New York said...

Oh, Amy, you are going to get so much advice and it is going to give you a headache because what one person says will contradict what another person says. You have an inner voice and instinct that will tell you what to do; follow it. Sometimes it will all seem to fail you at 3:00 a.m. when she's awake and you're exhausted, but you'll find your way.

You'll quickly find that there's the Babywise group, the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby group, and then the other one I can't remember right now. All of them say you can't get a baby on a real schedule until they're 3-4 months old. Babies have their little temperaments and what works for one doesn't work for another.

When all else fails, call your mom and pray your heart out...and remember, Olivia is so so so lucky and blessed to have such wonderful, caring parents.